White Chicken Chili Recipe
I love most soups, unless they have mushrooms or beans in them, and that pretty much cancels out traditional chili’s. However, this chili recipe solves everything! :) Even when removing the beans, this is still a hearty dish. The leftovers are very good, but it does get thicker the second time around. A solution? Put it over pasta. :) ENJOY!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 c diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/4 c flour
- 1/2 c whole milk
- 7 oz diced green chilies
- 11 oz tomatillos, diced
- 2 c cooked chicken
- 3 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 c chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- Add oil to a large stockpot over medium-high heat; saute onions until translucent (about 7 minutes).
- Stir in garlic and butter; when the butter is melted, whisk in flour.
- Cook for three minutes, then whisk in milk until smooth.
- When no lumps remain add in chilies, tomatillos, chicken, cumin, and cayenne.
- Stir to combine and allow to cook for 1 minute; then add in chicken broth.
- Add salt to taste and allow to simmer for at least 30 minutes or until broth thickens and becomes thick and gravy-like in consistency.
- Top with your favorite chili toppings (cheese, sour cream, and chopped green onion).